Thursday, February 24, 2011

End Of Winter . . . When?

Well here it is four days until the end of February and Punxsutawney Phil claims that winter is ending. So why then, even here in Arizona, are we getting more rain and having the temperature drop again? This year has seen strange weather. Here in Arizona we have had several cycles of thaw out and freezes. So many cycles that we lost several fruit and citrus trees.

Since I had tested previously how the freeze affects the curing of cob and adobe I know not to try and build during the freezing temperatures and obviously don't build in the rain. So this means I have to wait until the end of winter but, when is that going to happen? I figured of all places that I could get things done over the winter was here in Arizona, uh....no. At least not this year. Every time I planned on doing anything it would freeze or rain.

So bring on the sun and let's play in the mud, I am ready! With so many adobe blocks and lots of cob to make as well as to dig the foundations and lay pipe and conduit we need the sun, heat and no rain for at least a few weeks. I am also a little anxious to try out using a cement mixer that we got over the winter. I have read about a lot of people using cement mixers to streamline adobe production so I'm interested in giving it a try.

So I welcome the end of winter with bated breath in anticipation of playing in the mud! Wow what a flashback to about four years old. No wonder why my wife just looks at me in the mud and shakes her heard but, she'll be smiling when this project is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment