Monday, March 28, 2011

Outdoor Kitchen

I want to say this now so that I can resolve some questions that I received via email. This project is to build an outdoor kitchen. I will not end the blog posts until the outdoor kitchen is completed. I have received several emails asking me if I am going to end my blog or document building the entire kitchen. I am going to document building the entire outdoor kitchen.

To answer the other emails I received, no I have not used any concrete. I may use some concrete in the future for the counters but, I have not planned on using concrete for anything else. So far I have only used stone, urbanite, clay earth, sand and water. I will be using rock for some of the foundations of the counters but, nothing else.

Yes I did use some wire. I had some wire fencing that I used in the insulation layer to make sure to have reinforcement for any expansion during the firing. This was to make the oven last for years with a reduced amount of maintenance.

The next question that I wanted to answer is yes, all of the clay has been dug from our property. None of the clay, sand, rocks or urbanite has been purchased. We have been digging a cistern and simply using all of the subsoil that has been dug out of the hole.

The last question that I wanted to answer is that yes, I am using a combination of adobe brick and cob in the construction of this outdoor kitchen. The difference between them is that adobe is formed into bricks and sun cured while cob is placed and formed as one mass.

I hope that answered all of the emails that I received. Please feel free to leave comments so other people can join in the conversation as no one has.

Yes I am still working on my transmission and as soon as I am done I will be back to adding posts of my outdoor adobe kitchen project.

Cook, eat and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment