Friday, March 1, 2013

Another Design Change

Ok I know that I just made a design change in the last post but, as I've been working outside and thinking about things I decided another design change was called for.

As you can see in this layout picture both sinks are separated and far away from any of the heat sources. Because of this little design flaw I decided that trying to include copper piping into the build to heat the hot water isn't going to be very doable for me.

I did some quick measurements and realized I would need about 70 feet of copper pipe and drain pipe just to run hot and cold water to both sinks. If I were to also add the copper pipes within the build around the oven, stoves and fireplace as I had originally planned I figured out that I would need about another 200 feet of copper pipe.

Well that was a bit of a shock to me. I had never figured that it was going to take so much copper pipe to do this. The sad thing here is that it's cheaper to add two small 110 Volt instant water heaters, one under each sink, than it is to buy all of the pipe.

So after looking at all of my options I have decided to omit the extra copper water pipe from my design. I've decide that I'm only going to use enough pipe to run the water to the sinks. In the future after I've built the outdoor kitchen I may add an instant water heater to the sinks. If I were to have a different space to build another kitchen I would likely try and design it so the sink and heat source were adjacent.  That way I could use the excess heat to heat the water as I had originally planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment