Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Foundations . . . Just Dig It

So in my last post I had estimated that I would need 614 bricks for the foundation. That works out to 4 courses of bricks and bedding joints. That makes the foundation 14 inches from the floor level. I ran string lines at the floor level and dug down measuring 14 inches. That puts the top of the foundation at the same level as the floor.


You can see in the pictures the string lines that I put up. I used these as a guide to measure from so that I can dig my foundation trenches at a consistent 14 inches. Anywhere that I didn't have a string to work from I was able to use a level to keep the depth consistent.


You can see in the following pictures all of the foundations dug out to 14 inches deep from the level of the floor and checked with a level to make sure the bricks can be laid level and evenly. Do to the slope of the ground the trenches closet to the house are much deeper than the trenches close to the large oven. There are a coupe of trenches where I will have to add more to the bedding to bring them up to the correct level. I'm not worried about adding to the trenches on the end because whatever I add will be underneath the level of the lower floor. I still have to lay out the rest of the lower floor but, I already know that it will be high enough to lock in the foundations from the upper floor.


I decided to go ahead and dig the full foundation all the way around all of the counters. This just makes the counters stronger. I'll be infilling the open space in the bottom of the counters plus 1 or 2 bricks so that the floor level inside the counters is higher that the main floor level. That way when I fill in the main floor there won't be any way for the foundation to shift.
As you can see in the pictures my dogs and cats are having lots of fun with the trenches for the foundations. I had to train my dogs as I was working to not cross the strings that I had put up. My cats however thought it was just a new playground for them.

I also collected all of the clay soil that I dug out for the foundations. I'll use it to make the bricks so none of it goes to waste.

Also just a quick note. Yes I know it looks like some of the trenches are crooked but, the bricks that I'm using are only 4 inches wide and the trenches are at least 6 inches wide so there is no issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment