Thursday, March 14, 2013

Don't Mess With Mother Nature


What a picture! I definitely think that the title of the post says it all. I had planned on laying up some bricks and working in the yard today but, as you can see mother nature had her own ideas. So I will have to wait this weather out before I can get back to making bricks. Hopefully this will be the last storm for a while so I can have the time to get the bricks made.

For those of you who live in other places this picture is proof that even in the low desert it does get cold. I took this picture at just after 1 PM MST. Yesterday it was almost 80 F at this time and today it's only 57 F and dropping. Yes by the way, that is hail failing from the sky and bouncing off of the oven. It's been raining on and off all day but, right now the thunder is rolling and hail is coming down with some extreme force. Ya, I'm not going out in that if I don't have to. We've got winds of around 20 MPH as well. So I'm staying inside today and will probably wait for 1 or 2 days for everything to calm down and dry out before I go back to making bricks. I'll post more then. I hope everyone else out there comes through this storm with little to no problems.


Follow up to the first half of the post.

By 3 PM the temperature has fallen the 46 F and we're having wind gusts hitting about 50 MPH and the ground was so saturated that we have small lakes 3 to 4 inches deep in places. The winds again ripped off more shingles from the the roof. So I'll have to replace the missing and damaged shingles after the storm clears. The yard is a mess with debris blown all over. So there's a lot to clean up. So it may be several days before I get back to making bricks and doing more work on the outdoor kitchen.

You know, besides all of the storm damage and debris what really ticks me off about this storm is that it knocked all of the flowers off of both of the nectarine trees and the apple tree that had just started to bloom earlier this week. So that means we may not get much fruit from them this year. Dang, I was really looking forward to the fruit this summer. Like I said in the title, don't mess with mother nature.

It's weather like this that makes us need a roof to protect the adobe and cob that I'm using to build the kitchen. Without a roof with this much rain it the kitchen wouldn't last very long. This is why I am planning a roof. If you are building a kitchen of you own I would highly recommend a roof for you too. Keeps shade in the heat and keeps the rain off making your kitchen usable most of the year and make it last for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment