Sunday, August 28, 2011

Plastering The Dome Round Two

So I started working on the second layer of plaster for the dome. I started on one side and worked my way around the back then up to the top and down the other side.





I couldn't smooth everything out and I had to wait until the next day to see if there were any cracks. I also had more to fill in on the back of the chimney. You can see in the pictures above that even after I filled more in there are already cracks developing. I'll have to fix those tomorrow when it's all dry.


So this is the oven with the first coat of slip over the second coat of plaster. I will still have to go back and do more filling and blending but, it's really getting close to being done.


As you can see here there is still the rough spots that need to be filled, smoothed and blended. OK I know that I keep saying filled, smoothed and blended but, I never said exactly what I meant by those terms. So here's my definitions for those terms. Filled is just that, to add material into a crack, hole or divot. Smoothed is to remove all of the roughness and leave a fairly slick surface. Blended is to both fill and smooth out areas that have ridges or uneven spaces. So I hope that helps to make sense of what I meant by those terms.


Yes my sarcastic son Jason just had to point out to me as I was taking pictures that there are still cracks appearing on the backside of the chimney.

No comments:

Post a Comment